Saturday, November 16, 2013

"Christmas is about toys, Mom"... OK, Not the response I was expecting.

Tis' the Season to be Jolly? Tis' the Season to be Thankful? Tis' the Season to give?

As many commercials as Cohen sees, as many times he is asked what he would like for Christmas, as many times he is asked if he is excited for Santa. He has one thing on his mind...Toys.


This evening before bath time I asked a question. Without thinking, this child always has the answers.


"Cohen, What is the meaning of Christmas?"


I asked this question because he, as I have been asked multiple times "What does he want for Christmas?"


A season and holiday like Christmas has been so commercialized. The true meaning is not truly acknowledged. 


The answer that I thought I  was going to get actually smacked me right in the face...I was surprised.



"Christmas is about toys, Mom!"




In my mind I'm thinking what an ungrateful little brat...


Then I thought to myself...I have created this. I have made Christmas about gifts. Yes, we celebrate with family dinner and decorate in December but, I have made Cohen's main focus about "What would you like for Christmas?". Of course with the help of family.


I replied.."No Cohen, Christmas is not just about toys. Giving gifts, Spending time with family, decorating and Celebrating is what Christmas means."


He looks at me.... "I'm not going to talk to you right now".


Is this kid serious? You are going to be 4 and talk at me with that sass? I don't think so. 


Frustration and tears is what I got when I approached him. He thought how unfair that Christmas isn't about toys. The thought of sharing of gifting someone with life's needs isn't important or it hasn't been portrayed to him in that way.


I wanted to kick myself in the ass. 


Does a four year old really understand all this? We aren't religious...actually that is something that we don't even talk about. We don't attend church. I wasn't raised under the religious eye.


I was racking my brain trying to think of ways that I can explain what the true meaning of Christmas is without confusing him with religion.


I came across the Charlie Brown skit on You-tube. Linus told everyone what Christmas is all about. We watched the video. It talks about peace on earth, Shepard's in the field & a babe wrapped in swaddling. I hoped that one thing stuck out. 



"I bring you the tidings of great joy, which will be to all people" 


These are big things for a 4 year old to wrap his head around. 


After the video, I said I have a surprise. "I have the book "A Charlie Brown Christmas" upstairs in your book shelf. Do you want to read it?"


Surprisingly he was excited.


We read the book and he acknowledged the part where Linus stepped on the stage and told us what the true meaning of Christmas is. 


At the end of the book, like most nights I asked him what the book was about. Tonight I asked;



"So Cohen, What do you think Christmas is about now?"


He looks at me with those big brown eyes and says "Family. Decorating a tree. Giving Gifts and eating Dinner together."


Do I cry now or later? 


I was proud of myself and proud of Cohen..Proud that he acknowledged the gift of giving.